Hey there, Marcelle Essentials Soothing Cleansing Water. We've been going steady for about four years now, and I just want you to know how special you are to me. You've been with me through thick and thin, good skin days and bad skin days, and I'm ready to tell all our friends about us.
Marcelle debuted Soothing Cleansing Water, part of their Essentials skin care line, about four years ago. It was touted as a no-rinse "3-in-1" toner lotion, eye makeup remover, and facial cleanser that caught my attention as it made the rounds on Canadian beauty blogs. I'm glad I snapped it up back then, because I've probably saved a lot of money over the years in half-used, not-so-great makeup removers!
Reasons why I would break down and cry/go on a mad hoarding spree if Marcelle ever discontinued their Essentials Soothing Cleansing Water:
- Removes non-waterproof eye makeup in a snap (for waterproof eye makeup, I prefer the bi-phase Marcelle Gentle Make-up Remover for Sensitive Eyes)
- Also removes lipstick very easily (protip: dip a cotton swab into Cleansing Water and use to clean up a less-than-perfect lipstick application)
- Removes any traces of face makeup a traditional facial cleanser may leave behind. In fact, I use it after testing a new cleanser to assess its effectiveness at makeup removal: if the Cleansing Water-soaked cotton pad is still clean, then there really is no makeup left
- Leaves my face feeling clean and refreshed
- Free of perfumes, aside from a mild scent from aloe juice and cucumber extract, used for their skin-soothing properties
- Free of common potential skin irritants and super gentle on the skin
- Non-drying--in fact, slightly moisturizing!--due to inclusion of caprylic glycerides (emollient), glycerin (humectant), and aloe juice
The relatively gentle and no-rinse formula was especially helpful after my corrective laser eye surgery two years ago. In my post-operative care, I was strictly warned against getting any water in my eyes, which meant washing my face the conventional way was out. A Cleansing Water-less person might start worrying about the effects of going face-unwashed for weeks but I didn't even blink, because I knew I had Cleansing Water at home. My skin continued to be completely normal and blemish-free during the time when I was using this exclusively to cleanse my face.
Last year, I committed to being one of the bloggers participating in Annabelle's 24 Days of TwistUp swatch-a-thon. My package arrived from Annabelle and then--awesome!--the eczema around my mouth exploded into a flare-up that meant my lips would be extra sensitive. Thanks to a great formula in the TwistUp lipsticks, my lips didn't get any worse. When it came to removal, Soothing Cleansing Water and a cotton swab was the perfect choice--it took everything off easily and quickly (even the more pigmented shades) without the excessive rubbing or ingredients that would further irritate my lips.
|An old Soothing Cleansing Water bottle with a small rectangular opening|
Not sure why it took me so long, but after roughly four years and counting of loving Marcelle Essentials Soothing Cleansing Water, I've finally reviewed it here. Maybe because I love some products so much, I feel like I need to think about it a little so that I don't just publish a post with the words IT'S AWESOME and a picture--but anyway you need this in your life, like, now. It's perfect for anybody; if I had to give a beauty product recommendation without knowing anything about that person or their skin type, I would recommend this. It really is an essential product to have.
Do you have a skin care staple you've been using for years?
Ingredients: Water, PEG-6 caprylic/capric glycerides, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, glycerin, Cucumis satisvus (cucumber) fruit extract, certrimonium bromide, sodium citrate, disodium EDTA
Available at marcelle.com, London Drugs: ~$14.99 CAD / 200 mL (6.7 fl oz)